Insurance Finder

Enter your business or trade and select it from the list provided

  • Allianz
  • Aviva
  • Covea
  • Hiscox
  • NIG
  • QBE
  • RSA
  • Zurich
  • Feefo logo

Commercial buildings insurance

Business buildings insurance is an important cover to consider if own the commercial premises you operate from or if you've made alterations to a leased building to meet your specific business requirements. Without suitable buildings cover in place, if your business premises suffered damage, for example from a flood or a storm, not only would you have to foot the bill to repair the damage, you may not be able to continue trading.

Here at Premierline, our advisors are on hand to discuss your business requirements over the phone and help you find the right business contents quote at the right price.

Why choose us?

  • Compare insurance quotes
    Right cover, right price
  • Expert advice in just one call
    Insurance tailored to your needs
  • Monthly payment options available
    Your business, your budget
  • Excellent customer service rating 
    Rated 4.6/5 based on 192 Feefo reviews

Ready to get cover?

For advice:   
Request a call back

Commercial buildings insurance FAQs

What is business buildings insurance?

Business buildings insurance, sometimes referred to as commercial property insurance or commercial premises insurance can typically provide cover if your business premises is damaged and it can cover the repairs and building rebuild costs.

Your building will generally be covered for many insured events such as:

  • Fire or explosion
  • Extreme weather or natural disasters
  • Escape of water
  • Riot or civil commotion
  • Malicious damage

What does business buildings insurance cover?

Structural damage
Structural damage

Fixtures & fittings
Fixtures & fittings

Removal of debris
Removal of debris

Professional Fees
Professional Fees

Buildings insurance will typically cover you to reinstate any damage to the structure of the building, as well as the fixtures and fittings inside. The cover also provides for costs for removal of debris and repair of underground services following an insured incident, as well as professional fees incurred, for example, architectural drawings and surveyors’ fees. In fact, it will cover you against all the insured events that are specified within your policy. This could include storm, fire, flood, malicious damage, riot and civil commotion, burst water tanks and many more.

You can also add extras such as subsidence and terrorism cover to suit your requirements. The rebuild cost of your building will consider all of the services required to reinstate your building to its specification before the loss.

How do I determine the rebuild cost of my building?

When buying insurance, you will also be asked about the rebuild cost of your building. This will consider materials and professional fees to reinstate your building. The rebuild cost of your building can be influenced by many things, including the size, construction materials, and age of the building.

The rebuild cost is very different to the market value as the market value is generally higher as it includes the land the property resides on. However, in some rare cases, the rebuild cost of a building can actually exceed the market value, for example, due to it being a listed building. When calculating the rebuild cost of a building, you must consider the removal of debris, professional fees, materials and labour. If you are unsure, then seek the advice of a professional builder or architect to get a clear understanding of the cost of rebuilding your premises. There are rebuild calculators available on some sites online, including The Association of British Insurers rebuild calculator. These types of calculators can provide you with an approximate value, but may not consider all of the specifics.

I rent premises – do I still need buildings insurance?

Generally speaking, it is the responsibility of the landlord to protect their own commercial property, however, from time to time, it can be written into a lease agreement that the tenant will insure the building on behalf of the landlord. This will have formed part of the rental negotiations before signing the lease agreement, and if this is the case, you can usually add the commercial property insurance to your business insurance, including the landlord as an interested party. This means that if something happened, your landlord would be recognised as having a financial interest in the property, and would be compensated accordingly in the event of a claim.

Is business buildings insurance compulsory?

Whilst buildings cover is not a legal necessity, it is essential to think about the consequences of a total loss and how you would recover financially. Do you have the capital to rebuild your premises from scratch? Is it worth taking on the risk yourself in comparison to the price of buildings insurance? It’s important to think of other eventualities that could give rise to a claim. For example, if a slate fell off the roof in a high storm and hit a passer-by, they could suffer substantial injuries and may pursue a liability claim against you. Buildings cover can protect your liabilities as well as more common perils of fire, flood and storm damage.

How much does business buildings insurance cost?

The cost of business buildings insurance varies depending on several factors, such as:

  • The type of business
  • Your business activities
  • The location of your premises
  • The value of the commercial premises you wish to insure
  • Your previous claims history

Every business is different and will have different insurance requirements. To find out how much business buildings insurance will cost, our expert advisors are on-hand to discuss your requirements and can compare quotes from many trusted business insurers.

What types of commercial buildings can I insure?

At Premierline we can arrange insurance for many different types of businesses. Commercial buildings insurance is often offered as a cover for:

Business contents and stock insurance with Premierline

At Premierline, we understand the many risks business owners face. So, whether you’re a retailer, office-based business or manufacturing business, we can advise you on the business buildings cover you need. Speak to one of our experienced advisors for expert advice and recommendations today.

Ready to get cover?

For advice:   
Request a call back

"I’ve used Premierline for my work insurance for a few years now. They always find me such competitive prices. As a small business owner I really couldn’t afford the prices when I looked online myself especially after having had no work for 7 weeks when Covid-19 first hit. So it was a huge relief to find a policy I could afford and be ready for when work started to pour in."

Mrs Bridger, Cleaning Contractor, Devon (Customer since April 2017)

"I rang Premierline just to check other insurance offers, after my sky high renewal from my previous insurer. The adviser was friendly and very easy to understand and talk to and he got me a fantastic deal. Very happy.”

Mrs McCall, Pet Shop, North Shields (Customer since January 2021)

"Overall, Premierline offered a great service in securing my annual Professional Indemnity insurance. It was a very simple process and everything was explained well."

Mr Jones, Marketing Consultancy, Manchester (Customer since September 2021)