Insurance Finder

Enter your business or trade and select it from the list provided

  • Allianz
  • Aviva
  • Covea
  • Hiscox
  • NIG
  • QBE
  • RSA
  • Zurich
  • Feefo logo

Compare business content insurance

What would you do if you lost the contents and stock you need to successfully run your business? If you were to suffer a fire, flood or burglary at your business premises, the cost of replacing damaged or stolen contents could be significant.

Business contents insurance is a type of business insurance cover that can protect your possessions and equipment at your business premises and you can usually add this cover to your business insurance policy.

Here at Premierline, our advisors are on hand to discuss your business requirements over the phone and help you find the right business contents quote at the right price.

Why choose us?

  • Compare insurance quotes
  • Protect your business online
  • Expert advice in just one call
  • Monthly payment options available
  • Excellent customer service rating
    Rated 4.6/5 based on 192 Feefo reviews

Ready to get cover?

For advice:   
Request a call back

Commercial contents insurance FAQs

What is business contents insurance?

Business contents insurance sometimes referred to as commercial contents insurance, provides cover to reinstate any damage to your items and belongings following an insured event that is specified within the policy.

Your contents will generally be covered for many insured events such as:

  • Fire or explosion
  • Extreme weather or natural disasters
  • Riot or civil commotion
  • Malicious damage
  • Theft or robbery

What does contents business insurance cover?

Office equipment
Office equipment

Fixtures & fittings
Fixtures & fittings

General contents
General contents


Contents can be defined differently within policies, and it’s important to understand these definitions to ensure you have complete cover to suit your business needs. If you are a retailer, for example, contents can be broken down into three main groups: electronic office equipment (computers, tablets, printers etc.), fixtures and fittings (those items that are fixed or fitted to the fabric of the building, i.e. bathrooms, kitchen units, carpets etc.) and general contents (all freestanding contents used in relation to the business, display units, tills etc.).

This may seem complex, but with a little thought and consideration, it can be quite easy to quantify. Stock must also be taken into consideration, and keeping track of the volume of stock through weekly or monthly stock checks is the best way to evaluate the level of cover required.

How much does business content insurance cost?

The cost of business content insurance varies depending on several factors, such as:

  • The type of business
  • Your business activities
  • The location of your premises
  • The value of contents and stock you wish to insure
  • Your previous claims history

Every business is different and will have different insurance requirements. To find out how much business content insurance will cost, our expert advisors are on-hand to discuss your requirements and can compare quotes from many trusted business insurers.

What level of cover do I need?

When calculating the amount of cover you require for business contents, it is important to consider how much it would cost you if you had to replace all of your belongings following an insured event. Always be realistic and as accurate as possible in your estimations. If you are underinsured this can affect claim payments in future, so it’s important to spend time evaluating your contents and review these regularly.

What is the difference between fixtures and fittings and contents?

Generally speaking, fixtures and fittings are defined as those items that are fixed or fitted to the building, and contents would be the moveable items contained in your property. Imagine if it were possible to turn the building upside down like a dolls house, the contents would be the items that would fall out, and the fixtures and fittings would remain in place.

Is contents cover compulsory?

While contents insurance is not compulsory, it is important to consider how you would replace all of your belongings if the worst happened. Think of a fire, and the devastation it can cause within a matter of minutes. Would you have the necessary financial resource set aside to replace all of your items? How quickly could you replace your stock and get back up and running again? Without contents protection in place, you may face a situation that forces you out of business. Remember, if you have any equipment on hire, your lease agreement may specify a requirement for contents insurance. This could also be the case if you hold any goods or stock belonging to your clients or suppliers.

Can I cover contents away from my business premises?

From time to time you may need to take business belongings to meetings, or prospective clients and many companies will deliver goods as part of the service they provide. Most policies can offer cover for goods whilst they are in transit, as well as specified all risks cover, that specifies particular items to be covered outside of the business premises.

Business contents and stock insurance with Premierline

At Premierline, we understand the many risks business owners face. So, whether you’re a retailer, office-based business or manufacturing business, we can advise you on the business contents covers you need. Speak to one of our experienced advisors for expert advice and recommendations today.

Ready to get cover?

For advice:   
Request a call back

"I’ve used Premierline for my work insurance for a few years now. They always find me such competitive prices. As a small business owner I really couldn’t afford the prices when I looked online myself especially after having had no work for 7 weeks when Covid-19 first hit. So it was a huge relief to find a policy I could afford and be ready for when work started to pour in."

Mrs Bridger, Cleaning Contractor, Devon (Customer since April 2017)

"I rang Premierline just to check other insurance offers, after my sky high renewal from my previous insurer. The adviser was friendly and very easy to understand and talk to and he got me a fantastic deal. Very happy.”

Mrs McCall, Pet Shop, North Shields (Customer since January 2021)

"Overall, Premierline offered a great service in securing my annual Professional Indemnity insurance. It was a very simple process and everything was explained well."

Mr Jones, Marketing Consultancy, Manchester (Customer since September 2021)