Posted on: 16 May 2019

How driving in Europe post-Brexit could change

In the event of a no-deal Brexit there will be changes for drivers who travel into European Union member countries. The change will affect both private car and commercial drivers.

Drivers will likely need to request a Green Card from their insurer, which will be an official document, proving that the holder has the basic minimum motor insurance cover to drive in European countries.  The Association of British Insurers (ABI) recommends that drivers who need to visit the EU apply for their Green Card as soon as possible, with the withdrawal date fast approaching.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is documentation that acts as a proof of insurance when driving in countries outside of the EU. As a current member of the EU, drivers from the UK currently do not need to travel into European countries with a Green Card, however this is likely to change in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The Green Card itself is an A4 document on green paper that outlines when the document is valid from and to, your country and insurance code, your licence plate, the category and model of your vehicle, the territories that you are allowed to visit and your insurer’s details.

You will be able to ask your insurance provider for a Green Card, who in most cases will provide one for you, free of charge.

Changes for UK drivers

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, you will need to get in touch with your insurance provider to request your Green Card, and should not travel into the EU unless you have your documentation. You can be refused entry, fined, prosecuted or even have your vehicle seized if you do not have the necessary Green Card.  Not only will you need your Green Card, but it is also likely that you will be required to apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP), which you will be able to purchase from a Post Office, and will cost £5.50.

You will also need to make sure that your licence plate doesn’t show any European imagery, such as the EU flag, and you will also need to travel with a GB or UK sticker.

Business insurance with Premierline

When you’ve built your business to where it is today, you want to protect all of your hard work and dedication. At Premierline, we understand that all businesses are different, which is why our insurance advisers are trained to find the best insurance cover for your business.

We have years of experience in arranging retail insurance, contractor insurance, hair and beauty insurance, office insurance and many other insurance products. Call today to speak to one of our insurance experts for a competitive, no obligation quote.

Compare business insurance

Compare quotes online:

Get quotes now

Or for expert advice call:


Request a call back

What's the ideal age to start a business?

Business Guidance

What's the ideal age to start a business?

13 February 2019
Health & Safety in the industrial sector

Business Guidance

Marketing ideas for the industrial sector

08 February 2019

Protect your business against the unexpected

We specialise in sourcing the right business insurance solutions for businesses and understand that every business requires different cover to protect against the unique risks it faces. Compare quotes online or for insurance advice, speak to our knowledgeable insurance specialists today. Call:   .

Compare quotes online

The information and tools contained in this guide are of a general informational nature and should not be relied upon as being suitable for any specific set of circumstances. We have used reasonable endeavours to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the contents but the information and tools do not constitute professional advice and must not be relied upon as such. To the extent permitted by law, we do not accept responsibility for any loss which may arise from reliance on the information or tools in our Insight Hub.