• Allianz
  • Aviva
  • Covea
  • Hiscox
  • NIG
  • QBE
  • RSA
  • Zurich
  • Feefo logo

Compare food & drink manufacturers insurance

Whether you specialise in the manufacture of food and drink, food processing or packaging, choosing the right food manufacturers insurance can be challenging – it takes time and a good understanding of the insurance covers on offer to make an informed decision.

Like most manufacturers and wholesalers, risks such as storing and moving large quantities of produce and stock with forklift trucks or specialist machinery, using industrial kitchen equipment, production lines and bespoke equipment for processing and production means that you require specialist insurance to protect  your equipment.

That’s why we work closely with a panel of trusted insurers to find you the right insurance solution that suits your unique requirements, so you can work without worry and focus on producing a quality food and drink product.

Our advisors are available to give you professional guidance and make recommendations based on your individual insurance needs. We’re committed to finding you the right cover at the right price and supporting you for the duration of your policy.

Call us today to make arranging your business insurance simple and hassle-free.

Why choose us?

  • Compare insurance quotes
    Right cover, right price
  • Expert advice in just one call
    Insurance tailored to your needs
  • Monthly payment options available
    Your business, your budget
  • Excellent customer service rating 
    Rated 4.6/5 based on 192 Feefo reviews

Start your insurance quote:

For advice:   
Request a call back

Food manufacturers insurance frequently asked questions

What is food manufacturers insurance?

As your business insurance broker, Premierline will look to recommend a food manufacturers insurance policy which incorporates a range of insurance covers to meet the main demands and needs of your business.

With so many covers to consider, it can be difficult to know what’s relevant to you and how the cover would work to protect your business. That is why we have insurance advisors on hand to provide insurance advice over the phone.

What insurance do food manufacturers need?

Typically, food manufacturers insurance can cover your buildings, machinery, stock and raw materials, as well as your clients, your staff, and many other trading activities. Covers to consider include:

Food and drink industry insurance covers

Public liability insurance

As careful as you may be, there are many risks associated with members of the public visiting your food production business that could lead to them being injured or damaging their property. Public liability insurance can protect you against these unforeseen circumstances. For example, if a visitor slipped as a result of a spillage and injured themselves while visiting your food production facility, this cover can give you peace of mind allowing you to focus on the job in hand if they tried to claim compensation.

Employers’ liability insurance

If you do employ a team, or use subcontractors, then you may need to take out employers' liability insurance to safeguard your finances should an employee have an accident at work that was not their fault. Businesses have a legal duty to both protect the safety of employees whilst at work and must have employers liability insurance in place if they employ staff.

Products liability insurance

Products liability insurance is strongly advised for manufacturers, producers, distributors and retailers of food and drink products. As with any product, there is a chance of something not going to plan at any stage from production to distribution. Therefore, it’s important to ensure your food business is covered should your products cause illness or injuries to third parties.

Buildings, contents & stock insurance

Your premises, contents, stock and equipment are all elements of your business that require comprehensive protection against unforeseen events, such as fire, flood, theft and severe weather damage.

Business interruption insurance

Whatever your food production insurance needs, the ability to continue to trade following an unforseen incident and get back on your feet as quickly as possible is crucial. Business interruption cover can take care of this eventuality, so if your property is damaged following an insured event, your income and/or increased expenses can be protected to help you get back up and running as soon as possible.

Equipment, plant and machinery insurance

When machinery, plant and equipment is the backbone of your business it’s important to make sure your essential equipment is protected against the unexpected. This cover should protect all of the machinery at your food and beverage production plant such as industrial kitchen equipment, packaging machinery and forklift trucks.

Specified all risks insurance

For a complex business such as food manufacturers, you may wish to add specific risks to your insurance policy. Specified all risks will protect specific company items like cameras, laptops and other items that you may use away from the premises against most risks such as accidental damage or theft.

Goods in transit insurance

If you offer a collection or delivery service to/from retailers, the hospitality industry or wholesalers then goods in transit insurance can provide the peace of mind should your goods or stock be lost, stolen or damaged whilst in transit.

Commercial vehicle or fleet insurance

A commercial vehicle could be a crucial part of your business; whether it’s for customer deliveries, collecting stock or even just getting to and from the business daily. We understand the need for quality cover that gives you peace of mind so why not take a look at our business van insurance page to find out more about commercial vehicle insurance. If you have a fleet of company vehicles, we could arrange to insure them under a motor fleet insurance policy.

Comprehensive food manufacturer insurance

All of these covers can typically be combined to offer a comprehensive food manufacturers insurance package that is tailored to your unique requirements. Our specialist insurance advisors can help you find the cover that’s right for you by offering professional insurance recommendations over the phone based on your requirements. Call Premierline today to start a quote.


As a customer you'll get exclusive access to our Business Toolkit with resources from the experts and our Retail Rewards with discounts on big name brands.

Start your insurance quote:

For advice:   
Request a call back

"I’ve used Premierline for my work insurance for a few years now. They always find me such competitive prices. As a small business owner I really couldn’t afford the prices when I looked online myself especially after having had no work for 7 weeks when Covid-19 first hit. So it was a huge relief to find a policy I could afford and be ready for when work started to pour in."

Mrs Bridger, Cleaning Contractor, Devon (Customer since April 2017)

"I rang Premierline just to check other insurance offers, after my sky high renewal from my previous insurer. The adviser was friendly and very easy to understand and talk to and he got me a fantastic deal. Very happy.”

Mrs McCall, Pet Shop, North Shields (Customer since January 2021)

"Overall, Premierline offered a great service in securing my annual Professional Indemnity insurance. It was a very simple process and everything was explained well."

Mr Jones, Marketing Consultancy, Manchester (Customer since September 2021)