Posted on: 05 October 2020
COVID-19 has remained a threat in the UK since it arrived early in 2020 and without a vaccine or cure, measures against the virus have been limited to social distancing and hygiene.
As the virus remains a threat, here is a reminder of the importance of disinfection at your business.
Tips to keep your business disinfected
One of the easiest ways that viruses or infections spread is through contact with the hands followed by contact with surfaces.
Hand hygiene is one of the simplest and most effective ways of stopping the spread of an illness, and is as simple as following these instructions:
- Remove all jewellery before washing hands
- Use soap or antiseptic gel to kill germs on your hands
- Wash thoroughly for 20 seconds
- Ensure all areas of the hand have been covered in soap and rinsed
- Use disposable paper towels to dry your hands and throw in the bin
- Hygiene is more effective if the bin doesn’t require hands to open
- Apply disinfectant hand gel to the hands at frequent intervals
General disinfection guidance
General guidance can be used to give people who come to your business instructions on how to keep safe. With the impact that COVID-19 has had on the UK, it is a good idea to incorporate this guidance within your company policy/staff handbook to ensure that your staff are safe in the event of a virus outbreak in the future.
- Know which equipment and products you need to clean along with all of the surfaces in your building. This could be as simple as soapy water for door handles or pressure washers for vehicles.
- Provide training on cleaning chemicals and machinery.
- Make sure that all members of your team know their responsibilities when it comes to cleaning.
- Encourage regular inspections on surfaces to make sure that they are clean, but also in a suitable condition for their purpose.
- Encourage a culture of not taking risks and allow your team to feel confident about reporting damage and hygiene breaches without fear of punishment.
Further COVID guidance from Premierline
Take a look at some of our other articles for more business guidance on managing COVID-19.
- The importance of respiratory protection and safety
- COVID-19: Can employees refuse to return to work?
- COVID-19 safety posters and sign for businesses
- How to prepare for a second wave of COVID-19
- COVID-19: How to manage customers and clients when you reopen
Business insurance with Premierline
It’s important to make sure that you have the right insurance in place to protect the business that you have built. Following the lockdown, as you plan to re-open create a return to work action plan and consider reviewing your business insurance requirements with your insurance broker.
Every business is different and has its own business insurance needs, which is why we work with some of the UK’s most well-known insurers to make sure that you are getting the right insurance cover for your business.
To help you and your business during these unprecedented circumstances, Premierline has taken steps to ensure that we can continue to offer our award-winning service.
Source: Zywave Inc – Health Care – Playing it Safe: Make Disinfection a Priority
Compare business insurance
The information and tools contained in this guide are of a general informational nature and should not be relied upon as being suitable for any specific set of circumstances. We have used reasonable endeavours to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the contents but the information and tools do not constitute professional advice and must not be relied upon as such. To the extent permitted by law, we do not accept responsibility for any loss which may arise from reliance on the information or tools in our Insight Hub.