Posted on: 28 May 2021
A quick guide to using TikTok for business
TikTok is a video sharing social media platform, originally from China, that was initially released in 2016 but gained global popularity between 2018 and 2020. It went from 104 million downloads in August 2018, to over two billion downloads in October 2020, and was one of the fastest-growing apps in the last 12 months.
TikTok has been a controversial social media due to concerns surrounding addiction, content and privacy, but with so many regular users, it remains a powerful marketing tool, especially if you are trying to appeal to a younger audience.
Take a look at our guide to TikTok, and how you can use it to grow your business.
What is TikTok and how can I use it?
Similar to Instagram, TikTok is a platform that focuses on image-based content. Where the platforms differ is that TikTok is almost completely video content.
TikTok was one of the fastest-growing brands in 2020, coming in third to Zoom and video streaming service, Peacock. TikTok officially hit 2 billion downloads in October 2020 and has 689 million monthly users.
In March 2020, it was revealed that almost 30% of all TikTok users were between the ages of 19 and 30, so if you are looking to reach a younger audience, TikTok could be an important platform for your business.
How to set up a TikTok account
To get your business up and running on TikTok, simply follow these steps:
- Download the TikTok app from Google Play, App Store or the Amazon App Store.
- Open the app and choose a method of login. This could be through your Facebook account, Google account or just with your email address.
- Look for further guidance on using TikTok via their Help Centre.
Understanding key terms
Like most other social media platforms, there are terms that you will need to know to get the most out of using TikTok. Here are some of the phrases you need to know.
A creator is what TikTok calls its users. They use this term because you will be creating content for the platform.
Other social media platforms use the term “followers” for people who like your account. On TikTok, they use the term fans.
Once someone has become a fan, they will be able to follow all of your posts.
On the right-hand side of the screen is a heart icon, which someone can press to show that they like your video.
When a user has pressed the heart button, the video will automatically be added to an area in their profile so they can watch the video again.
Duets are a style of video that you can create where you use another creators content and add your content to it.
How can you use TikTok to grow your business?
Social media platforms can drive leads into your business, but some would argue that their main function is to create meaningful relationships with customers and to promote your brand online. To create these relationships and conversations, you need to consider the type of content that you will share.
Many businesses have found success on TikTok by sharing videos of the work they do. This is where you will have to decide on whether you are going to use TikTok or not, as some types of work don’t necessarily lend themselves to visual content.
Some of the types of work that have found success include cleaning businesses, animal-based businesses and salon-based business, who were able to use TikTok to generate content that got audiences asking questions about their work.
Ideas for your TikTok
Here are some of the ways that you can use TikTok to grow an online audience
- Show your business activities – Give your customers an insight into the work that you do by filming both your business premises and some of the jobs that you do.
- Duet with others – Using the duet feature on TikTok, you will be able to interact with your fans or other creators. Stick to sharing content that your business has expertise in, but become part of conversations with others in your industry.
- FAQs – If you notice multiple questions coming to you about your business, make some quick videos that answer your fans questions. If someone is taking an interest in your business, take the time to connect with them.
- Advertise – The use of TikTok’s Ads Manager can allow you to set up smart targeting advertising for you to reach your target audience. Your adverts can also be created easily on your mobile phone using in-app tools.
Business insurance with Premierline
Finding the right business insurance to protect your business can be difficult, with a huge range of insurance covers available that you might not fully understand. That’s where Premierline comes in, as our insurance experts will assess your business and find an insurance policy designed to protect you should the worst happen.
Get in touch with one of our insurance advisors to discuss your business insurance needs and compare quotes from some of the UK’s most well-known insurance providers.
Compare business insurance
More from our Insight Hub
The information and tools contained in this guide are of a general informational nature and should not be relied upon as being suitable for any specific set of circumstances. We have used reasonable endeavours to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the contents but the information and tools do not constitute professional advice and must not be relied upon as such. To the extent permitted by law, we do not accept responsibility for any loss which may arise from reliance on the information or tools in our Insight Hub.