Are you prepared for a site inspection?
What will happen during the inspection?
What are the inspectors looking for?
General Risk Management
- If you have any contractors who carry work out for you, make sure that you have an agreement in place that they will work to the same control measures.
- Make sure that your work force know the agreed risk controls.
- All of your equipment should be properly installed or assembled.
- Inspect your equipment and have it regularly maintained.
Working from height
- Demonstrate that you are following the .
- Ensure that your workers are following proper precautions, such as edge protection on scaffolding.
- Use correct ladder safety, showing that your team know how to use the correct type of ladder, that the equipment is in a good state of repair, on suitable ground, properly secured and at the correct angle and length. Take a look at our article on for more ladder safety information.
- All walkways, stairs and work areas should be clear and easy to access.
- Materials should be stored safely in their correct place.
- Walkways should also be even and gritted if slippery in cold or wet weather.
- Welfare facilities for your team should be well lit, ventilated and a suitable temperature for the time of year.
- You should provide a changing area so that your team can change outfits, dry or store items of clothing.
- Washing facilities should be available, as well as working toilets. Provide soap and towels to wash and dry hands and ensure that washbasins have both hot and cold running water.
Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Make sure that hard hats, ear protectors, masks and gloves are available to your team so that they can have access to PPE.
- Stress the importance of whilst on site.
- Perform regular checks to ensure that PPE is well maintained and in good condition.
- Keep an eye on your team to make sure that they are using PPE properly.
Contractor insurance with Premierline
Get in touch with the experts at Premierline who can find you the perfect insurance cover to protect your business from the unexpected by assessing your insurance needs. We work with a panel of the UK's most well-known insurance companies to compare quotes.